Monday, May 17, 2010

Musical Inspiration Spotlight: Suzie McNeil

Suzie McNeil will be a judge in the upcoming season of “The Next Star” and will be in town during auditions in Edmonton this week. It seemed like a good time to highlight one of my favorite and biggest musical influences.

I first discovered the talent Suzie McNeil while watching the reality show “Rock Star: INXS.” “Sweet Suzie” McNeil quickly became a favorite of mine. Here was a talented girl who really had some pipes for rock n’ roll, which is still a challenge to find in the music industry. And she was a Canadian and I really believe it is important to support good, Canadian talent. This made a great combination and I was quickly sold on this talented girl from Ontario.

Unfortunately, Suzie didn’t win the show but she made such an impression on me that once the show was over, I started to look for and follow her career. I was pleased to discover that she got a record deal in Canada and her first album “Broken and Beautiful” was released.

Songs really touch my heart and her first single, “Believe” happened to do just that at a time when my family was going through a really hard time. We had just lost my mom to lung cancer 18 short months after losing my sister to a different form of the same disease. The song speaks about making it through anything if you just believe. It was an anthem I held onto with everything that I had.


A chance to sing “Believe” with Suzie!

Shortly after mom passed, Suzie had a contest for the chance to sing with her at one of her shows during her cross Canada tour. Suzie provided contestants with a karaoke of “Believe” and challenged them to video tape themselves singing the song. The video was then uploaded to YouTube and posted on Suzie’s website for voting. The top entry in each city won. I quickly jumped at the chance, working hard with Kate from Very Vocal Music Studios (insert link to website) to learn the song and submitted my entry.

To my joy, I won!




Meeting Suzie


Since meeting Suzie, I’ve had the opportunity to meet another musical idol and was really disappointed. This was not the case with Suzie. She is by far the sweetest, nicest, crazy fun person I’ve ever met. What you see, is what you get and she is truly a genuine person.

The concert was held in a small bar on the south side of Edmonton. My husband Dennis decided to make it a night and we invited our close friends and family out to enjoy the evening. I think half of the bar was our crew! I was so touched by how many people came out.

Her team treated me like gold. Both my husband and I got to go back stage with Suzie and hang out. We talked a little bit about the upcoming performance and then relaxed just getting to know her. I had brought my guitar, the same one that Colin James signed and she autographed it for me.


Performance Time!

Singing with Suzie and her band was a blast! I have a huge respect of anyone who can sing in the bar scene. It was so much fun being onstage and singing with her and she made me feel really comfortable. I’m a little disappointed in how I sounded – it was extremely hard to hear up there – and that makes me respect working singers all the more!




Belief in Believe!

Dennis and I have been to several concerts since that performance. Suzie opened for Gavin Rossdale in a club in West Edmonton Mall. We helped out her street team by handing out flyers after her performance, and we got to chat with her and to attend the show for free. She recently opened for Colin James at the Winspear. We were greeted with hugs. I continue to be impressed with how down to earth and cool Suzie is. If you ever get to see her in concert, make it a point to go.


Believe at Very Vocal Showcase 2009!

I’ve been inspired to work on songs that stretch me vocally and at last year’s showcase, I decided to take another shot at “Believe”. It was another rewarding and fun experience. I am happier with how this performance turned out!



For more information about Suzie McNeil, check out her website at:
http://www.suziemcneil.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment