Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Eye on Idol: Is American Idol broken?

My favorite American Idol blogger, Lyndsey Parker, wrote a post today about this year’s American Idol saying it was arguably the worst season ever. Personally, I think that is a little harsh but there is definitely some room for improvement.

Then again maybe, just maybe, the show has had its run. I’m not sure. Here are some of the things that Lyndsey had to say that I found interesting:

Get rid of Ellen DeGeneres – You know, I was pretty much against Ellen when it was first announced and honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. I had seen her on one of our other favorite shows “So You Think You Can Dance” and I was completely annoyed by her constant jokes. I was afraid she would do the same thing on Idol but it hasn’t turned out that way. I do agree that someone with more music knowledge and industry experience should be sitting in that chair.

Tell Kara DioGuardi to chill out – I’m probably one of the few people who watch the show that actually likes Kara. I have heard some of her song writing and been pretty impressed, last year’s “winning” song aside. “Believe” by Suzie McNeil is a fantastic song and Danny Gokey’s “I still believe” were all penned by Kara. I think she has a lot to offer.

Bring back the Wild Card – I love this suggestion. Like Lyndsey, I think this would correct some of the wrong choices early in the game.

Change the elimination process – This is the best suggestion by far. I’ve always loved how “So You Think You Can Dance” utilizes the judges in the elimination process up until a certain point in the competition. The bottom two or three are chosen by the public, and get one last chance to perform before the judges decide who goes home. Arguably, the judges are supposed to be industry experts and they are experts for a reason. Rock Star:INXS had this system and it worked.

Tonight we hear the top two sing for the chance to be the next American Idol. “Worst season” or not, I think American got the top two right. It will be interesting to see who is crowned the winner tomorrow night!

Check out Lyndsey’s other suggestions on her blog “Reality Rocks.”

3 comments:

  1. I too think Ellen should be removed as well. I like her, but she does not have the music background that should be a requisite for a judge.

    I am not a diehard watcher but do watch Idol occasionally. Ellen was not a good addition IMHO.

    I would like to see guest judges like they did during the prelim rounds. Judges from the music business. Personally, I would love to see Gene Simmons do a guest spot on one of the prelims next season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was interesting that on the radio this morning it was announced that Ellen is starting her own record company.

    Maybe her way of trying to get some music cred?

    Gene would be an AWESOME judge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely didn't like Ellen too much this year. She sounded like a broken record. Worse feedback than Paula. At least she wasn't as annoying as we thought she would be.

    They definitely need to shake things up a little to make things interesting again.

    ReplyDelete