Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Eye on Idol: Song choice? Right choice?

Last night saw American Idol down to the final three. I've been checking out the buzz on my favorite Idol blog, Lyndsay Parker, to see what the feeling is about last night show. It seems like the feeling is the show was good but not great. Crystal was pretty strong and I will admit that I got a few goosebumps when Lee was singing "Hallelujah." But overall, the show was just okay last night.

I do have to agree with some of the things that is being said out in cyberland.

One of the issues that did strike me at last night show was the judges choice of "Daughters" by John Mayer for Casey James. The song by nature is very laid back and sleepy. It's being said that the Idol machine may have been setting Casey up to fail last night. Maybe I'm a little naive but I would hope this isn't true. Personally, I don't think so due to the fact that Simon openly criticised Randy and Kara for choosing that song for him.

But it does bring up the issue of song choice. The judges are constantly on the contestants for proper song choice.

So what makes me chose to learn a song and why I want to learn them.

I probably wasn't as deliberate in choosing songs in the past. I think I mostly chose them because they were "fun." Now, I'm trying to chose song that stretch and challenge me vocally and help me to grow. Lately, I think I've done that and I think I have some more tools in my vocal toolkit to draw upon. I find that exciting.

And I've learnt somethings along the way.

I really love Pink's music and voice. I actually brought "So What" as an option to learn for my concert. I think I sang the fist two lines and stopped, looked at Kate and said "I can't sing this." This revelation was huge for me. Does the song fit in with who I am and what I want to say? I think this is really important to take into account.

So I'm left with reserving "So What" as a song I sing into my hairbrush in the morning while I'm getting ready and admiring Pink's attitude to be able to pull off that song. I'm okay with that.

So back to Casey.

Unfortunately, picking the John Mayer song was not his choice to make and I think he'd did the best he could with what he had. Do I think it's enough? I don't think so.

Lyndsay Parker says don't count Casey out. She makes some valid arguments and she may be right. Personally, even without the John Mayer song issue, I'm hoping for a Lee/Crystal finale.

We find out tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment