Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eye on Idol: When Harry met Idol

Last night was the "Songs of Sinatra" night on American Idol. I was VERY excited that one of my musical heroes, Harry Connick Jr., was mentoring this week. Just a small piece of trivia before I comment on last night's show. Harry has an Edmonton connection! His Aunt lives in our fair city. The last time I saw him live was at the Jubilee and he actually stopped mid-concert, had the lights raised and said "hi" to his Auntie, who was a couple of rows down from us. The concert was amazing.

Harry was a fantastic mentor this week. Not only did he mentor but he arranged all their songs and played on stage with them. How cool is that? Could you imagine how much they learned from him? He really invested a lot of time into each contestant. He talked about respecting the song and the importance of the lyrics and melody.

Now, I've sang "Standards" in college. They aren't easy by any means. I loved how he commented on how great songs can be interpreted a myriad of ways. That's what makes these song a real challenge. It was going to be interesting to hear how the Idols would do with these songs. I was also praying no one sang "My Funny Valentine" but then, I don't know if Frank ever sang that song!

Aaron Kelly - Harry continued to impress me when he stopped Aaron mid-note and explained to him about "the turnaround" and how the note he was singing was clashing with the chord. Aaron sang "Fly Me to the Moon." Randy seemed to think he was "in it, to win it." I don't see it. I thought there was no swagger, no charisma and he looked shaky and nervous. Simon and I agree that there was no conviction in the performance.

Casey James - Casey lost the guitar and came out with only a microphone to sing "Blue Skys." From his conversations with Harry, I expected something really cool and bluesy. Casey just didn't deliver. His voice had a weird quivery quality to his vibrato and he looked scared. I'm afraid Casey is in trouble.

Crystal Bowersox - I HAVE to start out by saying I think Crystal looked gorgeous! The dress she wore was stunning! Crystal sang "Summer Wind" and I thought she sounded fantastic. I felt she really made this her own. Harry hinted that this song had special meaning to her and that if the song meant something to Crystal, it will mean something to the audience. The judges didn't buy it but I sure did! I thought it was great. Crystal stood up to their criticism by talking about how the song is a sweet love story that builds as it goes. She even referenced not having to shriek every big note (reference to Siobhan maybe?) and I agree. Love this girl!

Mike Lynche - I'll have to admit that this was Mike's night. He might not be my favorite but he did do well with Ol' Blue Eyes. Mike sang "The Way You Look Tonight." Harry recommended that Mike not mess with the melody too much but find the moment of truth in the song. Randy commented on the incredible vocal and musical arrangement done by Harry. Nothing more needs to be said!

Lee Dewyze - Oh Lee! Love this guy! He truly felt the sentiment of "That's Life" and the SWAGGER! Finally, someone who had the swagger worthy of these songs! He also really held his own sharing the stage with the great Harry Connick. The mentorship had an affect on Lee and it showed with this performance. I agree with Kara that Lee could win this thing.

Soo....who do I think is gone this week? Despite what the judges thought of Crystal, she is still my favorite along with Lee. I would love a Lee-Crystal showdown. Well, as much as I really think Aaron shouldn't be the next American Idol, I think Casey is in big trouble this week.

Can't wait to see the results! PLUS Harry is going to be taking the stage on the same night as Lady Gaga. Should be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment