Saturday, May 29, 2010

American Idol Experience!

The end of this season's American Idol has brought back my own "Idol" experience. Well, sort of! :)

In November 2009, we traveled to Orlando, Florida with friends for a vacation. Hollywood Studios is home to the "American Idol Experience" attraction. It was pretty cool walking up to the building with the large television screens displaying then current Idol winner, Kris Allen. We decided to go in and take in the show.

The stage was pretty incredible. It was a mini-replica of the actual Idol stage complete with lighting and the American Idol anthem. All the familiar elements were represented: Ryan Seacrest was "there" via a video, there was an Idol host and a panel of three judges. It was pretty hilarious how one of them took on the "Simon" role of "mean" judge.

Three contestants came out and performed, were judged and then the audience was allowed to vote electronically with a voting pad built into the chairs. It was pretty cool actually. The winner got to perform at the finale performance that evening for a shot at a front of the line audition for the actual show.

Pretty cool concept. We sat there after the show and my husband and friends turned to me and encouraged me to audition.

I was pretty scared actually. I really hadn't thought of singing and my mind went blank on what I could sing but with a little, well a lot of, prodding, my husband and I took the walk down to the audition area.

Audition 1


First off, I had to audition with one of the staff members. Dennis was allowed to hang out with me and actually go with me into the audition. My mind was racing; what do I sing? Would you believe that the only song that came to mind was "Amazing Grace"? Ugh.



I was then asked a few questions about my singing background and asked to try a couple of songs on the list. When I said I was on the worship team, I was asked what my favorite worship band and song was. My mind went BLANK. Gosh, I'd be bad at the real thing! And I had just sang "Word of God Speak" not that long ago.

Lesson: always be prepared! UGH.

Somehow, I made it to the next audition. I was asked what song I would like to sing. To my joy, "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" was on the list! To my dismay, it was taken by someone in an earlier show. UGH again!

Preparing for Audition 2!

I was then taken to a side area, not so subtly decorated by Coca-Cola and given a song list and headphones with background tracks. I had to choose two songs for the next audition. There wasn't a lot of choices left and I opted for Madonna's "Cherish" and Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock n Roll." I hadn't sang Madonna in forever and I knew it wasn't great but I was pretty comfortable with the Segar tune.




Moment of Truth! Audition 2!

This audition was with one of the main producers of the attraction's show. I was told this was pretty big as only about 5% of people who audition make it to audition with him. As I figured, the Madonna tune didn't go very well, but I kicked butt with "Old Time Rock n' Roll". And guess what! I got a Golden Ticket!





Show Time!

I didn't get to see much of Hollywood Studios that day. I had to be back for rehearsal and walk through of how the show was going to go. I then met with a vocal coach to help with performance and get some vocal tips. And then it was off to hair and makeup!

Performing on that stage was really fun and amazingly cool. It is quite the experience being on stage with Idol lights, cameras and backdrop. I can get a VERY small glimpse of the pressure anyone who tries out for these shows would be under.

So how did it go?

Well, I think I sang the song as best I could and I was pretty happy with how things went. Judging was HILARIOUS! The "mean judge" actually said I had the wrong song choice. I almost laughed out loud! If I could have, I would have picked a totally different song.

I didn't win. But the best moment happened when I was standing outside the theatre. This little girl, probably 8 years hold, comes running up to me and says "I voted for you! Our whole family did! We think you're great!"

Out of the mouths of babes. So cute. The whole experience was so much fun. And thanks to our best friends, we got it all on video for me to relive!

No comments:

Post a Comment