Friday, May 21, 2010

American Idol minus Simon equals The End?

With the season finale of "American Idol" next week, there is a lot of buzz on what is going to happen with the show after Simon Cowell’s departure. I had a small heart attack reading Lyndsey Parker’s blog post on the subject.

Lyndsey provided her list of who should take over Simon’s spot. My heart dropped when I saw Kanye West on that list. Just this morning, I was listening to the radio trying to get my butt out of bed to face a dreary, rainy day and some horrible song by Kanye was playing. I wish his 15 minutes of fame was up. It was terrible. The only Kanye West song on my iPod is “Heartless” and it is sung by Kris Allen.

I did laugh out loud at her comments on how great it would be:

“And then on finale night, he could bumrush the stage during the winner's speech and demand a recount. Come on, you know it'd be awesome--as long as Kanye is never allowed to actually SING on the show ever again.”

PHEW! It was a JOKE. Thankgoodness! I'd never watch Idol again! I do agree with Lyndsey that Idol's seasons are numbered.

Not so coincidentally, Simon was on "Oprah" yesterday as well. He made a comment on the speculation who the new “mean” judge will be on American Idol. I really was impressed about his point of view. Idol has become more about the judges than the contestants. He stated that whoever fills the spot should have solid credentials and know the music business. It’s about spotting talent and Idol needs to get back to that.

Being biased with Canadian talent, I could see a Mutt Lange, David Foster or even a talent agent like Bruce Allen filling those shoes. It has to be someone who knows the business well.

I don’t really watch "Oprah" but I wish I had of seen this episode. With all the hype and the Idol persona, Simon seems honest, sincere and actually down to earth. I’m even interested to see his new show "X Factor" when it airs, although I’m not really sure how different it will be from “America’s Got Talent.” I’m thrilled at the removal of the age restriction on the top end of the scale.

Check out the write up on Oprah.com

2 comments:

  1. Seriously though, it's about time for Idol to end. Same with Survivor, Big Brother, SYTYCD, etc. Most of these "Reality" shows stopped being about the contestants a long time ago, and became more about the judges, the backstabbing, the showmanship, and the performances of being on "live" TV instead of actually trying to demonstrate talent.

    The new generation of "reality" shows - America's got Talent and such is just another effort to revitalize a flailing market segment.

    So long, Simon, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Hopefully we can free up another prime time spot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to see Simon go. He was always amusing on Idol. He always had good feedback for people with actual talent on the show.

    Some of the reality show are still about the contestants. Well at least with PVRs. Survivor is still amusing to me, I like the challenges. With a PVR I can watch it in 15-30 minutes and take the parts from it that I like.

    American Idol is the same, I like the begininning shows where there are the tryouts and then when the contestants sing. Besides that, if I watch, it is fast forwarding through the rest.

    ReplyDelete