Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Studio lighting vs Speedlites

2011 was the year I really discovered photography. My job needed me to start taking more photos, and invested in some lighting equipment and a new camera. I even took a studio lighting course. I am hooked.

I got the same camera for home. I love my Canon 60D. I'm lucky; I have at my disposal a studio light set and a speedlite set at work. Before the holidays, I was taking a lot of photos in the lab and I decided to experiment with Speedlites. They are fast, extremely mobile and versatile, and I have some pocket wizards that allow for triggering via radio frequencies. It's pretty amazing.

I've been wanting my own studio light system for quite awhile. I loved the class, and face it, the big equipment is down right cool. But now I'm not so sure which is the best investment for home. The studio lighting is really cool but takes a lot to set up, is expensive, and I find it tough to get subjects to sit for me.

This brings me today's photo. I had a free rental from a company called Lightrein. Once again, poor Maggie and Leo were forced to sit through a photo shoot. They weren't too cooperative but I did get one or two shots. This is one great shot of Leo that I touched up a bit. The equipment was great but now I'm starting to think I'd use the speedlite system more, especially right now. Plus, while it won't be cheaper, I can buy the equipment a bit at a time. There is some cool stuff out there too.

Before we take the tree down, I'm going to take similar photos using my speedlite and a soft box, and then compare the two shots. I'm hoping the experiment will help me decide what to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment