Sunday, June 27, 2010

When the music's over...

So Friday's concert has come and gone. It's almost like Christmas morning - you wait and wait and wait...and the just like that, it's Boxing Day! *L*

I think the concert went really well. I did my normal thing and panicked about lyrics throughout the other performer's sets until it was my turn. I know it's silly; I've been singing without lyrics those 5 songs for over 2 months now.

Firstly, I have to say I was really impressed with Martin Kerr and his opening set for the show. He is extremely talented and I really liked his voice. He even stuck around to hear my set, which opened up the second half.

During intermission, I sat by myself behind the big curtain, sitting at the piano, praying that the set went well, especially conveying my emotions during 'Keep Singing' by MercyMe and my song, 'Gypsy Soul.' I was really nervous about Keep Singing because it would be the first time I accompanied myself on the piano for a larger audience. I had done something similar for my sister at her wedding last summer but this was taking it to a whole new level. Besides one bad note on the piano, the song went really well.

I got a bunch of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' when I declared my life would suck without my hubby and then went into Kelly Clarkson's song with the same name. Then came 'Gypsy Soul.' I almost cried. Not quite but almost. I couldn't see beyond the first row, which was full, and I couldn't tell if people liked it or not. More about that in a bit...

It was an amazing experience though and one I would take with me for the rest of my life. That song was inspired and I really haven't been able to write anything since. Maybe this summer I should try. I don't know. :)

My next song was 'Bringing it all back home' by Luba. I love this song. I love singing it and getting into the emotion of it. I loved performing every note. By the end of it, I couldn't believe I had one song left and it would be over for another year. The set went by so fast!

It wouldn't be a "Paula set" if I didn't sing a Suzie McNeil number. This year I chose 'Supergirl.' I had wore jeans and a buttoned up jean jacket with a very special t-shirt underneath. The plan was to go to the back of the stage, turn my back and take off the jacket and THEN start singing.

What did I do??? I cued the band before I started taking off the jacket and of course I had to sing and take it off at the same time. AND of course, the buttons stuck! Ugh! But it worked and when it came time to sing the chorus, I turned around to reveal my Supergirl t-shirt. So corny. So much fun!

And then it was over. Just like that.

I spent the rest of the concert in the audience with my family. The best moment was the last song when my soon-to-be 7 great-niece and 12 year old great-niece got all excited about the song. The 12 year old exclaimed "this song is EPIC!" *LOL* Epic. I love it. And they knew every single word. It was so cute.

Once the show was over, someone came up to me and told me how much they loved 'Gypsy Soul.' It was a girl from the front row. And as I thanked her, she got all choked up and walked away.

It was one of the best gifts someone has ever given me.

Now I know why song writers write.

1 comment:

  1. You were fantastic Paula. I really enjoyed most of the show.

    You can really feel the emotion behind your songs. When you sing, you convey so much through your voice.

    ReplyDelete