Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome to Gypsy Soul


So why "Following Your Gypsy Soul"?

In March, 2004, my gorgeous sister Penny Edwards was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. During her long battle with the disease, I watched her live her life to the fullest. She was more concerned with leaving behind a legacy of memories and love than what was happening to her.

In the middle of her illness, she was all about supporting others in living out their dreams. I think it was partly because she wasn't going to be able to live out hers. But mostly, I think it was just the type of person she was.

Her step-son was playing in a band with a guy who had been on Canadian Idol. They were playing at a private concert in London, Ontario opening for "some guy" name Colin James. Had any of us ever heard of him?

Now I am completely fanatical about Colin James. He is such a musical hero of mine. "Limelight" had just come out and on the album was an incredible cover of "Into the Mystic." As soon as she had heard how much of a fan I was, she arranged for the four of us girls to go, hang out backstage and maybe meet Colin. It was a weekend of "dreams." My sister Patti had wrote a poem about Penny and Penny had secretly had Aaron put it to music and record it.


And I did get to meet Colin and he did sign my guitar.

But more importantly, it was incredible to see how all these people around Penny were loved and adored her. It was amazing to see how she touched people's lives.

So why Gypsy Soul...well, my sister was asked if she could do things over again, what would she do? She said she always wished she could sing and she wished she could have traveled more. She'd come back as a traveling gypsy so she could do both.

Her inspiration, meeting Colin James and his amazing Limelight album (seriously, check it out)...all inspired "Gypsy Soul", a song dedicated to my sister.


So now, in the words of a good friend of mine, I'm trying to live life saying "what the heck" (okay, he didn't say "heck" but the sentiment is sound" and living out my dreams. Life is too short.


Are you living yours?

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome story. It sounds like your sister really touched the people around her.

    I have always been a huge Colin James fan too! His music always inspired me, and my sister and I had a close encounter with him in 1991. We had an elevator ride before a concert, and when he was on stage, he gave me a little wink. I never did an autograph though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paula
    Penny is still such a huge part of my life, even though I knew her for such a short time. Somehow Penny not only touched the lives of so many people, she literally changed them...... she did mine and many around me that never had the privilege to meet her.
    Your feelings, your words and how you are living your life is wonderful..... Penny and your mom must be so proud of you and happy for you.
    This is already a beautiful blog. That photograph of Penny made me smile immediately!
    I miss her so much, which is such a tiny part of how much you all must miss her.
    love and light
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing story. I'm glad you're trying to live out your dreams. Life is too short and fragile to not enjoy while you have it.

    Enjoy as much as you can, from the simple things like a morning coffee with a loved one to the grandeous like seeing the pyramids....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an incredible weekend that's for sure! I can't wait to hear you sing the song with a band. I bet it's going to sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete